Recently I saw a video about homeless women and their periods that touched me deeply and moved me to action. In the documentary, various homeless women speak about how difficult it is for them to get the various hygiene products that they need. Many of the ladies talk about having to decide between getting a meal and getting the supplies they need. Take a look at the video for yourself.
After watching this doc and hearing these stories, we were moved to action.
We pleased to announce that we launched the #POSITIVEPERIOD campaign.
From November 14, 2016 until December 31, 2016 we will be asking for donations of feminine hygiene products for round 1 of the #POSITIVEPERIOD campaign. Items such as tampons, maxi pads, pantyliners, baby wipes, feminine wipes and body spray are recommended, but toothpaste, deodorant, and other hygiene products are also accepted. We are also in need of gallon and quart sized Ziplock Bags.
Included with each kit of products we will include a positive and encouraging note. That's The Little Bit way!
Here's what to do:
- Purchase your products. Feel free to take a picture to post to social media to spread the word. Use the hash tag #POSITIVEPERIOD and #thelittlebitproject.
- Write a general note of encouragement. It doesn't need to be long. It can be handwritten or typed.
- If you are in the Detroit area, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text us at (313) 757-1137. We can arrange a pick up or drop off location.
Also, if you are in Detroit, you may drop off your donation at Textures By Nefertiti - 4147 Cass Ave. - Detroit, MI 48201 in Midtown Detroit.
- If you are outside of the Detroit area or would prefer to mail your donation, send your products and notes to: The Little Bit Project, 1401 West Fort Street #32194, Detroit, MI, 48232.
- We will distribute the Little Bit Greeting Cards to women on the street, in shelters or other temporary housing facilities.
Remember, your words and the positive energy you wrap them in have infinite power. Use them to help someone who could use a kind word.
"A Little Bit goes a long way."